Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tom Turkey Checks-in

Each year at about this time, I have a conversation with Tom Turkey, the multi-time champion of the Turkey Run, held each year at Como Lake in St Paul the Sunday before Thanksgiving. We met at a nearby watering hole.


Me: What are you having?
Tom Turkey: You have to ask? Wild Turkey of course!

Me: Oh yeah, right. How's your training been going?
TT: Could be better. I had a little down time this summer during the Olympics.

Me: What was that about?
TT: Just a little hitch in my gidddyup. Kind of a drumstick thing. It's all better now.

Me: What are you hoping for on race day?
TT: A tailwind the whole way. I think that would give me an edge. (laughs) But seriously, I'm just looking to get in the mix from the start and see where that takes me.

Me: Not your usual blast from the gun?
TT: There's a gun??

Me: Sorry, no, just a bullhorn.
TT: Ok, yeah, not my usual takeoff. I'm going to lay back, maybe find a chick to run with.

Me: Tom, I can't print that.
TT: Whatever, you know what I mean.

Me: Will you make a move in the middle of the race?
TT: I thought I couldn't talk about chicks?

Me: I was talking about race strategy.
TT: Oh. Yeah, I'll try to keep the leaders in sight around the lake, then when we get back to the road, I'll find another gear. When I hit it, I'll really be gobbling up the pavement.

Me: What are your chances of winning?
TT: Pretty good. I expect to be flying down the home stretch. I'll be pretty hard to catch.

Me: What's next after the race?
TT: It' ll be time for my annual vacation. I'm heading to New Jersey to help with the cleanup.

Me: That's great. Have you done that type of thing before?
TT: I've done some relief work, like handing out water. Actually, that was at a running race, but I think the skill is the same.

Me: Uh, sure. So how long will you be gone?
TT: You know, a week should be about right. I do like to get out on Black Friday.

Me: You like to shop?
TT: What? No, blackjack. What are you talking about?

Me: Never mind. Is your racing season over?
TT: Pretty much. I like to do a New Year's Eve run because I get to wear a costume.

Me: Oh? What do you go as?
TT: Elmer Fudd.
Me: I did not see that one coming.

Me: Any words of wisdom for other participants in the Turkey Run?
TT: Sure. Buy the shirt. You'll look awesome. And just have fun. It's a great way to end up the fall racing season.

Me: Good to talk to you again. See you on Sunday.
TT: Maybe not. I've got a new camo running outfit. I've been getting lots of compliments on how I just disappear in the crowd.

Me: Ok, I'm sure I'll see you once the gun goes off.
TT: There's a gun??

Me: Sorry, no, it's just an expression. Have a great race.
TT: Thanks. And have yourself a vegetarian Thanksgiving.

Me: Thanks. I'm planning on it.

No comments: