Monday, March 11, 2013

Couch to 5K in Just Two Weeks (and Other Lies)

This has been an odd winter. We've had long stretches with no snow, a few big bopper storms, and lots of lazy shovelers. Ice covers many running paths, and my forearm, hip and ankle have the bruises to remind me of how quickly up can turn to down. When is spring coming?

The calendar says spring begins on March 21, but Minnesotans know that date is more of a tease than reality. Ok, last year it was 80 degrees in mid-March, but not much later we had wind chills in the teens. If this hasn't been the winter of your training dreams, you may have been seduced by the come-ons that you find in running magazine articles and ads. Who wouldn't want more fitness with less work? Why shouldn't you be able to wipe away a weary winter with a few quick workouts? A 5K in two weeks? Sure, why not?

Pardon me while I take off my coaching hat, stow my knowledge of exercise physiology, and stifle my guffaws. There, now I'm ready to offer you unbridled enthusiasm for your new racing goal! Let's go for it!

Here are seven tips to take you from couch to 5K in just two weeks. No really, I mean it!
  1. First, register for the race. There is nothing like having some skin in the game to motivate you.
  2. Second, prepare your body to train. If you've been running a little, a 5K is a stretch but doable, but if it's been zippo, you need to work into it. You only have two weeks, so you can't dawdle, but on day one, just add a little walk, take the stairs not the elevator, and skip the second dessert. Baby steps!
  3. Third, buy new shoes. Sure, I used to own a running store and I think the world would be a better place if everyone bought new running shoes, but this time I'm strictly referring to the magical motivational power of new sneakers. It's as if they're saying, "take me, I'm yours," but in a running sense and not creepy at all.
  4. Rent an inspirational movie. Running Brave, Without Limits or Prefontaine are good choices. Stay away from The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. Anti-social schoolboys aren't what you need right now.
  5. Start running. Eventually you just have to run. Try a block, a quarter mile, a mile, whatever you can handle. Walking is ok. Crawling is not.
  6. Do something for fitness every day. That includes running, walking, swimming, really anything that keeps you moving. Get up from your desk more often. Park farther from the door. Sniff your sneakers. Keep moving!
  7. Who am I kidding? You can't really get fit in just two weeks. You can, however, start down the road. And as long as you're on the road good things can happen. Just watch out for cars. And ice.
Bonus question: What winner of the race that is now called Irish Run Saint Paul also had a role in the movie Without Limits? Share your guess on our Facebook page.

No comments: